Monday 29 April 2013

How it all started


In 2004 when my career with a Dutch multi-national company based in China came to an end, the social justice passion part of me drove me to NGO work in Southern part of China, Yunan, a province with the largest groups of minorities or tribal people that lived in the remote mountain area.
A scene on my journey in remote area of Yunan province
 
Remote village girl on a journey
For a short period of time that I was involved in church based social works that targeted on community development for village tribal people, the living condition and the poverty in the villages just gripped my heart. 


The experience simply compel me to want to do something in a more concrete manner to make a difference in these village tribal people's lives.




Opportunity to help arise when I met Ingrid, a British missionary based in the area that started a local cooperative which trained needy women that are disabled (deaf and dumb) sewing skills to make handicrafts in order to help them earn a living. 
One of the greatest needs among the deaf community is not just for education and training, but also for suitable employment opportunities.
 
This project started in 2002 where artisans have increased from the initial 4 ladies to 13 ladies that are deaf one disabled lady.
These artisans come from a variety of home and educational background most of them are from the poor areas of the countryside where they have had no previous access to education.
 
“Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute.  Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy.” Proverbs 31, 8.9

Before long, I was loaded with boxes of all sorts of handicrafts made by these ladies that I wanted to support financially.
 
Upon my return to Melbourne late 2004, I have to find ways to distribute boxes of assorted handmade crafts by the tribal and disabled ladies I was supporting. With continuity and sustainability in mind, I ended up supplying them to selected gift shops that support the value of assisting the poor and needy in general on a regular basis.
By 2006, Threads of Hearts N Hands Marketing has been registered as a small business or a self-funded non-profit and fair trade project with the goal to support financially and to provide employment for deaf, disabled, and needy village women in southern China.
 
Threads of Hearts N Hands Marketing became a member of the Fair Trade Association of Australia & New Zealand (FTAANZ) in 2006. 



In 2009, Threads of Hearts N Hands marketing reconstructed its website with a new business name operating as Crafts of Hearts n Hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment